Sewing room, my first quilt, and some dumpster dives

One of my January projects was to set up a permanent sewing area. The sewing machine has been traveling up and down the stairs, depending on the project. Such a pain. It now lives in the second bedroom upstairs.

This room is also our guest room, home office, and my walk-in closet. There is a big window with a nice view, and natural light but not too sunny. Perfect for a work space.

After organizing my fabric stash into piles, I decided to dive into my first sewing project.  I have collected vintage bed linens for years. If they rip or stain, they go into my fabric stash. 
Last weekend I decided to make a throw/ small quilt with my vintage bed linen scraps. Something simple. My sewing machine has some fancy stitch options, but I am still learning. 
Thanks to my new fabric cutting tools, a fabric rotary cutter and this cutting mat, cutting fabric is now a piece of cake. My hands are so happy since scissoring has become a problem.

s

Vintage fabric squares simply machine stitched together


 I finished my first quilt! It's a little wonky

 The sewing area after tidying up.

About the daybed: it is a dumpster dive/ alley find from West Elm daybed (older model)!
Total score since these retail for over $500.  It was in great condition, just missing some of the hardware. It needs a mattress but for now I slid our massage table into the frame. It fits perfectly. We do have the wood planks for a futon mattress.



My sewing table is also an alley find from many years ago. It was in great condition when I found it, but now looks to have seen better days. It has been my art/craft & diy table.
I love the height of the table in regards to lower back issues, so it stays until something better comes along.

The chair I wrote about here. It is an old Ikea chair given a new look with fabric decoupage, mod podge, glue, and Rustoleum gold spray paint.


No comments: