It's a wonderful table that expands to seat a dozen people easily. Unfortunately, the legs are weak and I wasn't completely confident in throwing a large dinner party. So it was time for a new table. Grandma's table is still here but in a less demanding role.
When we gutted our kitchen, the doorway to the kitchen was opened up. Here is a photo of my lovely hack job.
1. electrical work for ceiling light fixture and switch
2. build header box for doorway and drywall
3. build custom threshhold into kitchen
4. shop and install a light fixture
5. shop for seating- chairs and maybe a bench(s)
6. shop for a rug
7. shop for drapery
8. find some sort of storage unit for dining room housewares